19 July 2011

Soviet 9K111 Fagot Teams

Another short but hopefully sweet update this week.

Over on the The Guild they recently had a groupbuild, with the omly criteria being that whatever it was you did had to be on a 40mm base. This fit in quite well with a couple of Soviet 9K111 Fagot (NATO Designation: AT-4 Spigot) teams I had wanted to finish.

You can find out more about the Fagot/Spigot here

The Models

My teams came from Liberation Miniatures, which includes the firer and loader (one of which I swapped around for a more observer type figure) also include the base of the launcher attached to a kind of rocky outcrop. It looks kind of weird, but makes the missile launcher unit much more stable than it would be without it.

I didn't have any LibMin Fagots handy, but when I got my last S&S Models order I had asked for a number of these missile units to attach to my BMP-1s and BMD-1/2s. I decided to use them, and they fitted in very well with the LibMin figures.

The Look

This is the look I was going for:


And this is what I ended up with:





I think they came out OK. I'm not happy with how the Woodlands Scenics turf turned out - I have to work on that...

Anyway... here's a couple of Fagot/Spigot youtube clips:

I found it interestingt he way the tube pops open before the missile launches.

Have fun


11 July 2011

Cromwell Models FV105 Sultan

A fairly quick update this week with my version of a Sultan. A member of the very cool CVR(T) family every modern British force - in real life or in miniature - needs at least one. You can find out a little more about the Sultan here and alot more about the whole CVR(T) family here.


I'm a little bit of a fan of Cromwell Models - apart from the difficulty you can have in getting them - and this little beauty sits right up there with the rest of their stuff that I have seen. Its a very simple little kit - just 3 pieces from memory - the body and two sets of tracks.

My only problem was that the tracks had a quite significant bow in them and needed to be bent back into shape. Not having much experience in this I probably tried to do it too speedily and ended up snapping one of the track sections in half. This did, however largely solve the bow whn both peices were glued seperately to the hull.

Apart from that it was all very straight forward and painted up extremely easily. I liked it so much I'm trying to work out if I need another one!

Here are some photos of the completed effort:

Front angle

Side shot

Rear view

Finally a couple of clips from youtube:

Good quality clip with nice look at details

View from the Commander's hatch

Convoy - including 4 Sultan's

That's all for now

have fun